Saturday, October 31, 2009

Alvinisms 963

"Do not remove a fly from your friend's forehead with a hatchet."

-Chinese Proverb

Did you know: The term 'The Big Apple' was coined by touring jazz musicians of the 1930's who used the slang expression 'apple' for any town or city. Therefore, to play New York City is to play the big time - The Big Apple.

Thought of the day: So I returned the failure of a Pentax and picked up the Olympus Stylus Tough 6000. Once again this might get geeky.

By far the camera build feels a lot better, from the feel of the construction to just the elevated levels of the buttons. Another thing that is comforting is that Olympus has a whole line devoted to underwater cameras so that proves their devotion to the craft compared to a company just sticking it's nose into the business.

Image quality is a lot better on screen, I know what matters is what shows up on the comp or pictures, but it's nice to see what you're shooting. Plus, it just looked better on the computer anyway. Kudos. So I gave up 2.1 megapixels for this camera; that's cool I'm not making posters of anything plus I saved some cash on it.

One seemingly small thing that's different is that there is a cover for lens that I didn't notice was lacking on the Pentax. I understand that both can take a fall but what if the lens gets scratched? Then you have an eternal meteor streaking through all of your photos. Glad to have it.

The menu is a lot more easy to adjust to, change, and pick what you want compared to the Pentax. Not as many unnecessary preset options and more emphasis on what works.

The "beauty" option was something I thought was silly and yes when it calibrates the photo its' ridiculously silly but you know what...it works. What it does is compensate the lighting of the photo and shadows to find the best look of the subject. Meaning, it makes you look better w/out having to photoshop. Unnecessary I agree, but at least it works.

There are a few drawbacks to this camera though. One is I dislike having the lens in the top corner of the camera. Why put it there? When I shoot it doesn't feel centered, oh well. The other one was that it has to be either blue, white or orange. Color is insignificant but if I'm dropping $250 on another camera at least let it be like me. Preferably silver, black or red. The water seals don't seem as reliable since they seem so thin and small compared to Pentax but that is yet to be put to the test. Happy shooting.

Who's down to surf!?!

Food for thought:

Salisbury steak was by far my favorite lunchtime food growing up. Shoot, I still buy the TV dinners for a buck when I get the urge.

-Alvinism of the Wildboyz


Here's footage from the Willys Worksho x Arnette Sunglasses game of S.K.A.T.E.

A little thicker, bigger, and heavier than usual but maybe that means it'll be harder to lose!?!

www.alvinisms.com
www.willysantos.com
www.segue-mag.com
www.hoeyinc.com
www.mavyn.com
www.tmdance.org

No comments: