Thursday, April 12, 2007

Alvinisms 280

"I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me... All I ask is that you respect me as a human being."

-Jackie Robinson (1919-19720)

Did you know: Jackie Robinson became the first black man to play major league baseball in the twentieth century when he debuted with the Brooklyn Dodgers on April 15, 1947. He went on to become the first black player to be named Rookie of the Year, to win the Most Valuable Player award, and to be inducted into major league baseball's Hall of Fame.

Thought of the day: Have you ever thought of how Jackie Robinson? On ESPN they are doing a special on Jackie Robinson so I was just thinking of all the things he's been through and not just his impact on baseball, but on all sports and the how America is today. If you don't know who he is you should really look into him. Basically, he's the first black major league baseball player.

Anyhow, Jackie was spectacular from the get-go, from smashing homeruns for the minor league team Kansas City Monarchs to getting bumped up the the majors and winning the rookie of the year award as well as MVP in years to come and winning the pennant. He really backed it up. He onced asked something like, "Do you want a player w/ the fight back?" But was answered with something like, "I want a player that has the courage to not fight back." To me both question and answer are both admirable because Jackie let his baseball do the talking and the manager had faith in the talent and not the color. In my head I was thinking, "wow, Jackie is amazing regardless of the records or whatnot just cuz of what he went through." Then I wondered something.

What if Jackie wasn't good? What if he flopped? I wonder if baseball would have been taking in more players of different races or not? Not only would baseball be different but, think of how much more crap Jackie Robinson would have had to go through. Wow, lately I've been thinking of real heroes. Like heroes that sacrifice themselves day in and day for the benefit of other, for strangers, for enemies, for you and me. And watching ESPN, I found another hero that I always knew about but never really looked into. Thank you Mr. Robinson. Peace. Love. Faith.

Pictures from WICKED in the next Alvinism

-Alvinism of the Wildboyz

-WICKED Wednesdays!



Brooklyn Dodgers.

RESPECT.

This is my first hero. My grandma Eusebia Benavidez. RIP 2005. I love you and miss you.

www.wbz4life.com
www.mavyn.com
www.willysantos.com
www.tmdance.org

No comments: